[fpc-devel] Conditional Breakpoints using FPC and GDB

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Aug 13 14:46:13 CEST 2010

On 13 Aug 2010, at 14:20, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> The Delphi debugger allowed you to change values while debugging,
> then step
> back and re-execute that code with new values [I think I did this
> back in
> the days of Delphi 5]. Delphi's debugger was pretty damn awesome -
> just
> makes me realize how crap GDB is (with any other languages than C).

The above has nothing to do with C or any other language. You can also
change the value of variables in GDB and change the value of the
instruction pointer. And yes, for certain FPC-specific types you need
helpers, but as I explained those can be programmed in Pascal.

Programming them in Pascal code that is linked into the target program
moreover has the advantage that GDB (or any other debugger, even one
written in Pascal) doesn't have to be changed whenever FPC's
implementation logic changes (and/or that it doesn't have to contain
support for multiple FPC versions).

Jonas