[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Sep 17 13:45:59 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> What I meant was, use OpenOffice to open a document with Unicode text in
> it. Make use that some "visual" character and bases on normalized text
> and some are bases on non-normalized text (two or more characters
> forming one visual character. eg: o + ¨ = ö).

How am I supposed to input o + " in Open Office in a way that the
program combines them to ö ?

Anyway, if possible, I do suppose that OO will internally store the
result as a single Unicode character.

I even suppose that OO internally (in memory and with its native file
formats) does not use multi-character Unicode surrogates.

So the problem only arises with file import.

Somebody might want to try and hack an OO document file and replace a ö
by a o + " surrogate pair and see what happens.

-Michael