[fpc-devel] Plain tarballs

Neil Graham Lerc at screamingduck.com
Tue Oct 13 22:11:15 CEST 2009

Would it be possible to get plain tarballs of freepascal hosted on the
website?

I am working on a zeroinstall feed for freepascal and I have ran into
various issues with all of the current versions.

The Tar of Tarballs is just a bit awkward for zeroinstall to deal with,
I've also found problems with distros handling the debs (non deb based
ones lacking support files) and bugs in cpio mucking up extraction from
the rpms.

Something that is just a plain old tarball of the files needed would
simplify things a great deal for me.

I'd be happy if the contents of

ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dist/2.2.4/i386-linux/fpc-2.2.4.i386-linux.tar

were hosted extracted in the same directory.

In addition to this once I get the feed up and running, perhaps it would
be a good idea if someone closer to the build process maintains the feed
file (which should only be a 5 minute job per release once all set up
(theoretically anyway :-) ))