[fpc-devel] Save the current FPC UnicodeString!

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Nov 10 10:38:12 CET 2009

In our previous episode, Martin Schreiber said:
> - The current FPC UnicodeString is fast, simple, has little overhead and is
> well tested.

Do you have any benchmark data on the overhead that delphi adds ? Because I
don't think it is much slower if all strings are initialized on the same
encoding (like they are on your system)

> So please don't destroy this ideal solution by dropping current FPC
> UnicodeString in favour of the Delphi string which is complicated, less
> performant, will have many new bugs and is inscrutable by the average user!
> Please remember how many time it took  to fix WideString. I don't want to go
> this ordeal again.

I'm no compiler devel, so I have no say in this, but even if widestring is
retained there might be a significant revalidation. It will significantly
turn the whole stringhandling upside down with many new routines and
overloads.