[fpc-devel] How to search units reported by gdb? (fpc and mseide devels please participate)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Feb 27 15:46:51 CET 2009

On 27 Feb 2009, at 15:17, Paul Ishenin wrote:

> We have a trouble in lazarus. We need to open units and include
> files wich gdb returns to us. The problem is that gdb repors them
> without full path.

It's because there is no path information in the debug information.

> What solution fpc team can suggest?

Use DWARF :)

I don't know where the decision comes from to not include any path
information in the stabs debug information that FPC generates (gcc
does include it by default). It is possible to specify a full path for
each file in stabs. That path would obviously be invalid if you copy
the program to another machine though (or if you access it from
another machine over a network share). Maybe you cannot tell gdb to
search elsewhere for the source if you include a full path? A command
line option could be added to make FPC store full paths in the stabs
debug info though. Feel free to file a feature request

In case of DWARF, the path is split in two parts: a base directory,
and then paths to files relative to this base directory. That makes it
easier to specify full paths and still be portable to other file
system layouts, I guess (although I don't know how gdb handles this
either).

Jonas