[fpc-devel] Re: Debug Info proposal

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Sun Jan 13 19:09:53 CET 2008

Op Sun, 13 Jan 2008, schreef Marc Weustink:

> Fabio Dell'Aria wrote:
>> Can you tell we more about the iirc gdb please?
>
> IIRC -> If I Recall Correctly
>
> This is about plain gdb, since fpide uses gdblib I don't know if it counts
> foir that too.
>
> Anyway, on my fedora core, I've the option to install a somelib-debuginfo
> package. This package installs
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libname.so.x.y.z.debug
> and
> /usr/src/debug/packagename-version/*.c

As far as I know this is the full executable as it was before rpmbuild did
call strip. It puts the stripped one in the normal rpm and the original
one in the debuginfo rpm.

> I didn't read the gdb info again, but from what I recal, gdb automagically
> searches for any path+lib loaded in /usr/lib/debug
> if this path+lib.debug exists. If so, it uses that as symbol source.
> Further, it looks in /usr/src/debug/ for sources.
>
> This is why I wondered about the statement that the debugger doesn't support
> it.

There exists no debugger that can process the .dbg files FPC generates,
and gdb cannot read debug info from a file in general. The /usr/lib/debug
means gdb simply opens a different executable.

Daniël