[fpc-devel] can r12368 be merged to fixes?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Dec 17 00:21:36 CET 2008

On 16 Dec 2008, at 12:45, Paul Ishenin wrote:

> Joost van der Sluis wrote:
>> How can you expect us to merge a change a few hours after it's
>> commit?
>> We don't even know if the change compiles on all targets, so why
>> should
>> we even consider merging it? We'll always have to wait for the
>> testsuite-run on all tested platforms (which is tonight.)
> Yes, testsuite is a good indicator. But does it needed in all cases?
> The main problem in Andrew case was just a typo:
>
> if <condition> then ; do_something - it was just semicolon. Do we
> need to run testsuite in this case too?

Some clear guidelines to know when something can be merged to fixes
are useful. Waiting for at least one test suite run is one such
guideline that has been proposed. It should not cause any major
inconveniences, and at the same time should help with keeping a
minimal level of quality for the fixes branch (namely that it builds
for all tested platforms, and that the change doesn't cause
regressions for tested functionality).

Jonas