[fpc-devel] Qt, Java and Unicode support

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Tue Dec 2 13:47:57 CET 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> So would it maybe help if we took a peek at what those frameworks have
> done. Clearly they managed to do it right as no developers or users
> are complaining!  So I guess Free Pascal could learn from them and
> don't have to go through the whole R&D process. Study what those two
> frameworks did and apply the same thing to Free Pascal!

Unfortunately what those frameworks did isn't directly applicable to FPC.
First, as I understand, they have only one (UTF-16) string type. This is
good because it avoids whatever mess related to conversions, but not an
option for FPC (because FPC requires compatibility with existing code).

Second, their string type is an object, therefore it is toolkit-specific
rather than language-specific. It has very little, if any, to do with
the compiler.

Third, QT is a shared library (and Java framework may also be treated as
such), and it implements huge Unicode conversion tables without putting
them into every executable.

Regards,
Sergei