[fpc-devel] Unicode and UTF8String

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Dec 1 21:29:05 CET 2008

In our previous episode, Mattias Gaertner said:
> > encoding.
> >
> > That would actually require less fixups (a few conversions procedures
> > for the rare points where tlclstrings are passed to e.g. registry
> > units. Lazarus already has their own XML units).
>
> Only at places where we had the choice. The LCL uses the FCL xml units.

As said it can be fixed. Maybe even easier than I thought.

> Compatibility was always the bigger goal for lazarus. IMHO a TLCLStrings
> breaks more than it would solve.

A lot will change. Even with Delphi not everything automatically is unicode,
and they only have one platform to regard.

I usually am sb who is pretty serious about Delphi compatibility, except for
some of the more bizar post D7 experiments. This however is different. While
I really like Tiburon as Delphi user, I loathe it as FPC user.

It will never be totally transparent, whatever you do. Just like something
things never were transparent when porting to Linux.

We are a multi OS compiler, not a version of Wine oriented towards Pascal
development.