[fpc-devel] Unicode and UTF8String

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 21:27:12 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Mattias Gaertner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> Compatibility was always the bigger goal for lazarus. IMHO a TLCLStrings
> breaks more than it would solve.

I don't fully understand how the Tiburon TStrings works, but consider
that we are used to mixing TStrings with LCL code, and then we migrate
to the proposed UTF8String.

Now every assignment of a string to TStrings will have a implicit conversion.

Unless there are many overloaded methods in TStrings, one for each
encoding, and it is able to internally use our desired encoding so
that no useless convertions are done.

If this requirements aren't met, we need a new class.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho