[fpc-devel] fpdoc and fv

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Aug 23 15:49:59 CEST 2008

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> > > The latter is the easiest question: is classchart.ps still the source of the
> > > pdf classchart ?
> >
> > Not currently.
> > Someone else generates the pdf classchart from a OpenOffice spreadsheet.
>
> And where is that one? Couldn't find it in svn.

It isn't. I get the ready made PDF :-)

> > > If so, what do the modifiers "ready","untested" etc mean?
> > > Maybe their meaning should be annotated in the source?
> >
> > They could, but it would be better to remove the alltogether.
> >
> > In general, the idea is to create the classchart from within
> > fpdoc.
>
> Yes, an abstract format. However you might get into problems with dividing
> it up to nicely fill a page that way.

I know.

> > The idea is to create an XML file that simply has the
> > structure of the class tree:
>
> Why XML? It is so human-unreadable, and more a machine format than an
> editable one? I like the current ps format much more. OTOH the editor would
> be a simple treeview mostly.

XML because it can be easily manipulated.

> > Should be easy to do. then a tool can be used which converts this
> > tree to PostScript or PDF or whatever...
>
> See above.

Yes, but postscript is impossible to maintain automated. Hence the inbetween-format.

> > > The second is a bit harder,
> > >
> > > I tried to run makeskel over the fv/ directory to try to generate some
> > > skeleton docs to have on the side, but it seems it fails on half of the
> > > files (next to empty XML). I first thought it didn't support the TP object
> > > model, but some classes are done.
> > >
> > > Before I start debugging, does sb know what that could be?
> >
> > Not without the failure message...
>
> There was none. It just generated an empty xml for e.g. Views.

Simple:

access("Platform.inc", F_OK)            = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(3, "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"IS"..., 118) = 118

Change to platform.inc and it works fine.

Michael.