[fpc-devel] fpdoc and unicode characters

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 16:21:06 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:12 PM, "Vinzent Höfler"
<JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net> wrote:

> I suspect those entities get parsed by the DOM-unit as entities (which is the right thing to do generally) and simply get lost in the transformation back to the byte stream (aka. AnsiString) then.
>
>> &#x2026;
>>
>> should be treated exactly the same as
>>
>> <    or   >    or   &
>>
>> when generating HTML output from fpdoc.
>
> Yes. But the latter have a character code below 256 (even below 128, so they're plain 7-bit ASCII).

I think you have a point with the DOM-unit parsing the documentation
content. So we can safely say, the actual content is NOT copied as-is!

&#x2026;

If the above was interpreted as-is (with the rest of the content), it
would be 8 ascii characters all below 256 character code. No issues
then!

So yes I think I agree with you. Somewhere the above is being parsed,
then found that as a whole it's above 256 ascii code and simply
replaced with a ? character.  I simply found this confusing, because
Michael is very versed with fpdoc, and when he said the content (not
the XML tags) is copied as-is, I would not have envisioned any issues
with Unicode escaped character.

Now we know better!  :-)
I'll file a bug report in Mantis.

Regards,