Optimization strategies in IDE (Was: Re: [fpc-devel] symify.pp broken)

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Fri Apr 18 22:24:08 CEST 2008

On Fri, April 18, 2008 20:53, Robert Riebisch wrote:
> Tomas Hajny wrote:
 .
 .
>> > Afterwards I realized "Level x optimizations" being check boxes. I
>> > think, that should be radio buttons instead. Furthermore "Position
>> > independent code" and "Create smartlinkable units" seem to be at the
>> > wrong place, because these are not "Run-time checks".
>>
>> Yes, this makes a lot of sense too.
>
> OK, but let's discuss first, before making another patch, which never
> will be applied. ;-)
 .
 .

Well, having radio buttons or checkboxes doesn't matter in fact in this
particular case (any combination of -Ox will processed by the compiler
equally as if just passing the highest used level regardless of the
order). ;-) Admittedly, it's still confusing, because it looks like level
1 may not be included in level 2 (whereas it is), so changing to radio
buttons would make sense, IMHO.

I guess this "wrong placement" can be fixed either by changing the title
to something like "Code generation" or "Generated code features" (to avoid
repeating the title used for that options "page"), or by creating another
set of checkboxes (and thus another TSwitches object). I personally have
no preference, although keeping aligned to grouping used in FPC itself
(and thus rather renaming than creating another group) may make sense.

BTW, shortcut keys should be probably rearranged to avoid having 'm'
assigned to two different options on that options page.

> > > P.S.: I signed up for bugs.freepascal.org several days ago, but never
> > > got an activation mail. :-(
 .
 .

I made a small test and I know the reason now. However, the problem cannot
be fixed by Marc or anybody here. The following happens to all e-mails
sent from the server where the bug tracker runs (note that this is a
different server from that one running the mailing lists, that's why you
e-mails sent via mailing list are delivered OK):