[fpc-devel] Re: fpc-devel Digest, Vol 40, Issue 15

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 15 15:40:37 CEST 2007

Op Mon, 15 Oct 2007, schreef L:

> Daniel Wrote:
> >
> > Basically, 2/3 of this unit is duplicated functionality. Interresting
> > functions I cannot get somewhere else are string and path manipulation
> > routines like extractfile*, trim*, wraptext.
> >

> Yes.. it duplicates functionality because it was a prototype or proof in
> concept. I planned to wrap those functions like you say.  There are also
> some functions in StrUtils which rely on sysutils that can be pulled out
> quite likely.. I've pulled some out already in CompactStrUtils as a proof
> in concept.
>
> So the sysutils unit, can be arranged in a way that it wraps the ExtractFilePath
> and friends. We will store those functions in a separate unit together, or an
> include file. I need to know what you think is better.. an include file or a
> unit that is put in uses clause. This unit that contains extractfilepath and
> friends can be put in the uses clause of sysutils, and then can be put into
> another unit called something like compactsysutils. That name is too long.. what
> should we call the unit?

Let's first discuss a plan, then we'll see about the name. Suppose we put
everything that does something with paths and files in a unit:

* Extractfilepath and friends
* Exec, findfirst, etc.

... then it could be called something like fsutils, "fs" from filesystem.

So, let's first discuss the purpose of the unit and which functions
types will be in it.

Daniël