[fpc-devel] FPCUnit as a separate project from FPC?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 22 12:29:01 CEST 2007

Hi everybody,

Darius Blaszijk, Vincent Snijders and myself had a discussion off the
mailing list about the possibility of moving FPCUnit out of FPC as a
separate project.  I thought it to be important that we get the
opinions of others as well.

In summary:
  Darius is all for it.
  Vincent is against it.
  I'm on the wire, but leaning towards the move.  :-)

Some points that where raised in our discussion (please add more if I
left some out):

* As it stands now, FPCUnit is split between two repositories. The FPC
one and the Lazarus one. This make it really hard to submit updates.
The FPC one must be done first otherwise it breaks the Lazarus GUI
TestRunner (or Console TestRunner).

* FPC versions are a issue as the release cycles is very different for
the FPC and Lazarus projects. Apparently the FPCUnit is broken in the
previous release of Lazarus, due to this.

* Vincent likes the idea of the testing framework being part of FPC.
One simple checkout. I think this point is moot because SubVersion
support Externals Definitions for exactly this purpose and I think
will actually work better than the current setup. We can link FPCUnit
to FPC as an external link - and even link it to a specific revision
of FPCUnit to always guarantee it pulls in a stable version of FPCUnit
for use in FPC's test cases.

* FPCUnit could move to the same repository as the other 3rdParty FPC
tools like LNet. I can't remember the exact SubVersion URL now.  It
will still be close to FPC, just not live in the same repository.

What is your thoughts on this?

--
Graeme Geldenhuys

General error, hit any user to continue.