[fpc-devel] what fpc is good for?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat May 12 09:12:13 CEST 2007

> Op Sat, 12 May 2007, schreef Bisma Jayadi:
> There is nothing in this article we can consider, for starters because it
> does not contain any proposals.

Moreover it lacks a sense for magnitude. What can be saved in the sysutils
that is so dreaded by him is 40-80kb. (and then I really remove it. If you use
parts it is less) Most of this are simple text msgs btw.

The size behaviour of the VCL is also a known factor, and the LCL is about
the same, with a small extra factor because it is portable and multi widget
set.

Non trivial Delphi GUI apps also quickly rise to 1.5MB, and nearly any other
non-handcoded commercial GUI framework does (even though sometimes hidden in
external libraries)

However the biggest hint that it is all a bit exaggerated, straight from the size
matters faq btw, is the fact that there hardly any cut down RTLs. If it is
all that bad, surely sb would have stepped up.

I think the big mistake comes in the third paragraph. FPC HAS been set up
mainly as an application compiler. From the start, because TP and Delphi
are. However this focus is relatively mild. (as demonstrated by spinning off
Lazarus in a separate project).

The author also seems to have a grudge about binary sizes, but fails to
explain what exactly his problem is with binary sizes in the context he
would like FPC to go.

P.s. I also don't get the "64-bit" gaming speed remark. What does a game do
with 64-bit? Load 4 GB of textures on startup?