[fpc-devel] Linux kernel behaviour change regarding keyboard

Peter Popov ppopov99 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 09:16:16 CEST 2007

The linux kernel developpers are actually not a new phenomena. They have
been described in great detail in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy) under
the name of "Sirius Cybernetics Corporation"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Cybernetics_Corporation). I
discovered this truth some time ago when the idiots changed something in
the kernel and broke Kylix's debugger. Please refer to the Guide for
possible solutions to the problem.

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 01:45:17 -0500, Florian Klaempfl
<florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

> Daniƫl Mantione schrieb:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Apparently someone suddenly got a good idea that you need to be root to
>> reprogram the keyboard, and got a patch merged into the Linux kernel:
>>
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=0b360adbdb54d5b98b78d57ba0916bc4b8871968
>>
>> The result is that the keyboard unit is no longer able to catch keys
>> like
>> escape, shift+tab alt+F1..F12 etc. on the Linux console. This affects
>> the
>> Free Pascal IDE and any other program using the keyboard unit.
>
> I must admit, kernel developers do a really good job to piss off people,
> we can't do better.

|***********************************************|
|                                               |
|  Peter Popov,                                 |
|  608N Blocker Bldg.                           |
|  Institute for Scientific Computation,        |
|  Texas A&M University                         |
|  College Station, Texas 77843-3404            |
|  Phone: +1 (979) 458-4644,                    |
|  Fax: +1 (979) 845-5827                       |