[fpc-devel] 2.1.1 SVN revision doesn't compile

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Sep 18 10:00:29 CEST 2006

On 18 sep 2006, at 09:50, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> So Iast week Monday I had a working 2.1.1.  Today I am trying to
> compile the latest 2.1.1 (svn) with last weeks 2.1.1 compiler and it
> isn't supported??

It has never been and never will be supported. It works most of the
time (I also usually do it that way), but not always.

> I have been working like this for months.   This
> makes no sense... but then I am not a Compiler developer... :-)

It happens if you get circular dependencies with fixes in the RTL: if
a certain fix requires both changes in the RTL and in the compiler,
and if the changed RTL can only be compiled by the fixed compiler,
then we add a conditional define to the RTL which the previous stable
release to still compile it (possibly with reduced functionality, but
enough to bootstrap the 2.1.1 compiler).

We don't do this for the 2.1.1 compiler to avoid ifdef explosions.

Jonas