[fpc-devel] About the new package manager and networking

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Nov 3 20:21:04 CET 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Ales Katona wrote:

> I've noticed Michael just added a "wget" package getter to the new
> packager.

Yes.

> We already had a small discussion about using lNet in the new packaging
> system and it comes down to this:
>
> The packager needs pure fpc solution, which lNet now is, but won't be
> later (eg: when openSSL is added)

I know.

> I'm willing to add the required networking support to the packager if
> you guys tell me "how". I mean, should I add lNet as a choice to
> package/base or fcl (not sure on which the packager actualy depends), or
> just "inside" the packager (eg: not in packages or fcl)?

As far as I'm concerned, lnet can go in packages/extra/lnet,
or better yet, fcl/lnet...

I am already adding lnet and synapse support to fppkg.
(to WST too, BTW ;) ) The wget is a fallback and proof
of concept implementation.

> Personaly, I don't give a damn, I'm going to put lNet in packages/extra
> later and you need a stripped down version anyhow (eg: you don't need no
> openSSL support which forces a libc inside).

Proxy support may be nice in the mid-long term...

> Please don't start a flamewar about this, all I need to know if you want
> to use lNet for it, and how should I integrate it with the packager, no
> politics.

All you need to do is

1. Add lnet to fcl/lnet

2. Add a set of synchronous calls for client use.
   I noticed you set it up as asynchronous using an event loop.
   For command line tools, a synchronous call interface is
   easier. (I commented on this already to Micha with regard to WST)

2 is not mandatory, it will just make my interface easier.

Michael.