[fpc-devel] PR: Advocates needed

Bisma Jayadi bisma at brawijaya.ac.id
Thu Jan 19 13:32:08 CET 2006

 > Hey! The writter of that article is clearly pro-Python!

I wonder... why most developers still think negatively about (object) Pascal?
Don't they ever heard about Delphi (in propietary world) or the great FPC (in
FLOSS world)? NO matter how good Delphi or FPC is, they still talking about the
lack and bad of Pascal! :(  I'd like to argue with them about this! :|

About the TurboCASH, I don't think it'd be easy to port it to FPC/Lazarus,
though it's still possible. First, the UI component, the biggest problem IMO.
They use a very complex and advance grid component (QuantumGrid) which we don't
have a clone for FPC/Lazarus (yet). Second, the BDE. Firebird would the best
alternative IMO, since it can be run as client/server database, also as embedded
database, without changing any lines in the code. This'd be a big advantage for
TurboCASH and the users. But, converting BDE to Firebird is not as easy as it
said. :) However, if someone will really do TurboCASH Delphi-to-FPC convertion
project, I'd really like to help. :)

By the way... currently I'm working on a dictionary application
(Indonesian-English and vice versa) using FPC/Lazarus, also a convertion from
Delphi. Can I put this project of mine on FPC site? On which section? Whom I
should contact? Thanks.

Regards,

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at