[fpc-devel] Generic Programming Units

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Jun 22 08:27:31 CEST 2005

> >At work, I have found out that decal is too bulky and too slow for some
> >purposes (I've lists with millions of objects in memory). _each_ entry in
> >a decal container eats 78 byte (with D6 memory manager, but will only be
> >equal or larger with FPC)
> >
> I can immagine,  the DObject is a TVarRec.  The problem with speed and
> memory usage are the things that I don't like in Decal and it still
> makes me wonder if it would be better to reimplement a containers
> library from scratch, if we had generics to add type checking at compile
> time... I'm looking at all the options (time is a limited resource :).

Better finish decal. DeCal is good and comfortable for most cases, and
trying to speed it up will kill the ease of use.

Then we can collect some other set of routines over time for more performance
dependant stuff.

> >For this, I implemented dirty, but very fast maps and sets. These are not
> >generic, but fast, and with FPC they can really fly due to inline
> >capabilities. See
> >
> >http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/lightcontainers.zip
> >
> Thank you, I'll take a look in the next few days. Maybe we could build
> on this instead.

It's not as friendly ;-)

> Thank you, I had your pdf but not the tex file.

If we move decal to packages/contrib, we can move the docs to the fpcdocs
dir ?