[fpc-devel] Extend the libraries people!

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich at compuserve.de
Fri Jun 10 12:58:21 CEST 2005

L505 wrote:

> | | Do not look at delphi copyrighted source, but get info from public sources
> | | like helpfiles for download on Borlands FTP etc.
> | |
> | | This should be enough to reconstruct a rough interface, details will then
> | | later be found by testing real delphi code.
> | |

> | I was just wondering, are there any source code files that Borland company offers
> | which doesn't have copyright and is public?

Every source code is subject to copyright. A special notice in such a
file should indicate the copyright holder, and how freely the code can
be used.

> Another question: if someone already owns Delphi, they could compile any source code
> from their Delphi CD with freepascal? Is this legal?

Compilation for private use is legal. Borland disallows to distribute
their library source code, also in compiled (object) form unless as part
of applications. The exact license terms are part of every Delphi
distribution.

Copyright is based on licenses, i.e. the author must allow everything
that one can do with his work (sorce code...). If in doubt, you are not
allowed anything. That's why there exist a lot of license models
(GPL...) for free software, which not only grant the (more or less
restricted) use of the source code, but also disallow any further
restriction of the granted rights.

Contributions to FPC, like to every other public project or library,
should be free from any special restrictions, so that a redistribution
can not conflict with the rights of the authors of the respective code
etc.

DoDi