[fpc-devel] Extend the libraries people!

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Tue Jun 7 01:09:45 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikolay Nikolov" <nickysn at SexMagnet.com>
To: "FPC developers' list" <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org>
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 1:16 AM
Subject: Re: [fpc-devel] Extend the libraries people!

| Bisma Jayadi wrote:
|
| >Object pascal is a mature language. Some languages even adopt the concept, such
| >as C# or Java, with different syntaxes and styles. Do not listen to people who
| >said pascal is a toy language, they just don't know what they're talking about.
| >
| >Then, if we are talking about the object pascal compilers... we must admit that
| >Delphi/Kylix is the most popular pascal compiler. In fact, it becomes some kind
| >of industry standard for pascal based software engineering.
| >
| >But, now we have another pascal compiler alternative. The open source and free
| >one, it's FreePascal aka FPC. Since it released the v.2.0, it got more
| >popularity. Some people even think that it's gonna replace Delphi domination.
| >But, I think it's not that easy as it said. Delphi has more experiences, more
| >developers and community, more library supports, more products, and many more.
| >
| >If we want to make FPC as popular as Delphi and more developers interested to
| >use it, then we have 2 ways to do it:
| >
| >1. Make FPC 100% compatible with latest Delphi release (I think at least D7).
| >Automatically, FPC will get all Delphi resources, including the codes and the
| >developers! There's no need to write new specific libraries for FPC.
| >
| >2. Make FPC own environment and community. We don't need to keep up with Delphi
| >compatibility, make our own syntaxes and styles, build our own libraries, have
| >our own dignity and destiny. :)
| >
| >Which way we gonna choose? The first one? Which I think we only need to more
| >concentrate on the compiler development, but with ability to share the code and
| >community with current Delphi code and community. This will make FPC = Delphi,
| >or even FPC >= Delphi. :)
| >
| >Or the second one? Which I think requires more works, keep up with some
| >"selected" Delphi compatibility, build our own libraries, but with freedom to
| >have our own "special" pascal. This will make FPC > Delphi, or FPC < Delphi, or
| >even FPC <> Delphi.
| >
| >So... which one? :)
| >

| Why not both? Delphi is windows-only, so even if FPC became 100%
| compatible with D7, the libraries already available for Delphi are
| usually windows specific, and FPC libraries are cross-platform.

And we all know they are already doing just that. What is needed is more help, action,
and contribution.

In fact many libraries out there already are working with FPC. We just haven't done
anything about them (i.e. submitted them). It's the man work. We can talk all we want
but when it comes time to code...