[fpc-devel] Extend the libraries people!

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at SexMagnet.com
Mon Jun 6 10:16:48 CEST 2005

Bisma Jayadi wrote:

>Object pascal is a mature language. Some languages even adopt the concept, such
>as C# or Java, with different syntaxes and styles. Do not listen to people who
>said pascal is a toy language, they just don't know what they're talking about.
>
>Then, if we are talking about the object pascal compilers... we must admit that
>Delphi/Kylix is the most popular pascal compiler. In fact, it becomes some kind
>of industry standard for pascal based software engineering.
>
>But, now we have another pascal compiler alternative. The open source and free
>one, it's FreePascal aka FPC. Since it released the v.2.0, it got more
>popularity. Some people even think that it's gonna replace Delphi domination.
>But, I think it's not that easy as it said. Delphi has more experiences, more
>developers and community, more library supports, more products, and many more.
>
>If we want to make FPC as popular as Delphi and more developers interested to
>use it, then we have 2 ways to do it:
>
>1. Make FPC 100% compatible with latest Delphi release (I think at least D7).
>Automatically, FPC will get all Delphi resources, including the codes and the
>developers! There's no need to write new specific libraries for FPC.
>
>2. Make FPC own environment and community. We don't need to keep up with Delphi
>compatibility, make our own syntaxes and styles, build our own libraries, have
>our own dignity and destiny. :)
>
>Which way we gonna choose? The first one? Which I think we only need to more
>concentrate on the compiler development, but with ability to share the code and
>community with current Delphi code and community. This will make FPC = Delphi,
>or even FPC >= Delphi. :)
>
>Or the second one? Which I think requires more works, keep up with some
>"selected" Delphi compatibility, build our own libraries, but with freedom to
>have our own "special" pascal. This will make FPC > Delphi, or FPC < Delphi, or
>even FPC <> Delphi.
>
>So... which one? :)

Why not both? Delphi is windows-only, so even if FPC became 100%
compatible with D7, the libraries already available for Delphi are
usually windows specific, and FPC libraries are cross-platform.