[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

listmember listmember at letterboxes.org
Thu Jun 2 20:54:32 CEST 2005

>>-- Class Contracts
>>I like the 'require/ensure' aproach.
>>
>>It makes the code more robust and more debuggable, IMHO
>
> I think the checks you can do there are to limited. I also wonder what
> will happen if a require isn't met. Personally I don't want exeption in my
> released app.

No, these are assertions not as exceptions.

>>-- Generics
>>I am not sure if Generics could be done in FPC.
>
> There were some discussions about it here and AFAIK some are trying to
> implement.

Any links?

>>-- Virtual Properties and Events
> The examples given there are not very different of what is possible now.
> Make SetWith virtual and you have almost the same.
>
> What however would be nice is if you could override the getter or setter.
> Something like
> property Width write MySetWidth

I think you missed a few things here.

type
   TMyClass = class
     property Width: integer read write; virtual; abstract;
   end;

As you can see, getters and setters are not in the picture
at all. Which means, you have all the freedom you want in
the derived class.

Plus, I like the idea that I could have a base class
with read-only property that can not be overriden to be
read-write later.

     property Width: integer read; virtual; abstract;

OK, while I like the idea, I can not think of how I would
use it though :-) Can someone help me out here <G>

>>-- Enhanced Multicast Events

> This is not really new. You can implement it yourself like
>
> property OnChange: TNotifyList;
>
> and then OnChange.Add(Notifyproc) or OnChange.Remove(Notifyproc)

OK. Nice to be able to do that. Do I have to write my
TNotifyList every time I need it?

>>Inline variable initializers, such as:
>
> [snip]
>

>>var
>>  Integer1: Integer = 15;
>>  Boolean1: Boolean = False;
>>  String1: String = 'SOME TEXT';
>
> Hmm.. sometimes usefull. You can put it as first lines
 > in your constructor/codeblock, but keep it thogheter in
 > say large classes can be handy.

Yes, and it improved the readability, IMHO. Plus, there is
no reason for you to alter that in constructor/codeblock too.