[fpc-devel] FPC 1.9.6 (a.k.a. 2.0.0-RC1) is out

Wed Jan 12 15:38:08 CET 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 DSTRODT at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/2/2005 12:31:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> _Michael.VanCanneyt at Wisa.be_ (mailto:Michael.VanCanneyt at Wisa.be)   writes:
>
> The Free  Pascal Team is pleased to announce that FPC version 1.9.6
> (or 2.0.0-RC1) is  available and ready for download.
>

> Thanks, Michael.
>
> Downloaded it this morning and it seems to be working nicely. Do have a
> couple issues a couple questions and a monster KUDO. Will do the issues  first:
> 1) The Win32 installer does not install the utils folder. It's in the
> download, but doesn't get installed. Easily corrected by just unzipping it  manually.

Known and fixed for next release.

> 2) There is no demo folder, and hence, can't do the simple check with
> hello.pp that is referenced in the README

Known and fixed for next release.

> 3) The source directories on the download sites are still empty. Are they
> still coming or am I looking in the wrong place,
> which leads to my first question:

I think you are looking in the wrong place?

> 1) I have been keeping up-to-date at the source level with CVS updates  every
> couple days. Can I just keep building on my current source tree with CVS
> updates or do I need to do a complete new CVS checkout (please say yes, my
> network connection stinks!!)

You can continue to use CVS.

> 2) It's really nice to have debugger (gdb) support in the IDE again. I  get
> it every time I load a new binary and lose it again every time I install a
> snapshot compiling the sources. What the heck do I have to do to keep  getting
> the IDE and GDB connected under Windows. I've downloaded every  concievable
> flavor of GDB I can find (the GNU .gz version, Cygwin, MingW) I'm  sure I've got
> every thing I need to keep it working but I'll be darned if I can  figure out
> what I need to do/configure to make it all work together.

This is something for Peter Vreman or Florian Klaempfl. I use Linux, and have never
been able to build an IDE with debugger support myself.

> And now the praise and adulation:
> Michael et al, your work on the documentation is nothing short of  herculean.
> While not directly related to this release, the Doc-HTML library  is great
> and provides a great context-sensitive help under Lazarus. The new  RTL.PDF file
> that came with this release is OUTSTANDING. For a non-Delphi (and  basically
> non-OOP) oldtimer like me, I think this will become my "Newest  Testament".
>
> Thanks for all the hard and great work

We aim to please. Stay tuned for more goodies in the future :-)

Michael.