[fpc-devel] [RFC] fpdoc output comment from the source

L L at z505.com
Thu Dec 22 04:34:12 CET 2005

> We've looked at the people on the mailing list many times, but we've
> never seen people sticking out their neck and actually doing something
> along these lines. It takes long-range commitment, which is probably
> what scares many people off...

I've volunteered to help, but I think there are too many conflicts with what I would
use to program a website versus the current system in place. All I heard was "we
don't need any concepts or ideas, we need people to help" But I did offer to help -
don't deny that.

This is why time after time I keep recommending more pascal users to make their own
websites. Many of us don't have the same website engines or choice of website
databases. Better 50 users create 50 high quality websites on Pascal than 50 users
all arguing about what the engine behind the doc system is going to be.

We are discussing an open documentation system that does not require and SVN account
or patching. The whole idea of an open documentation system that does not require an
SVN account, is that you do not need to "stick your neck in" - you only need to
stick your pinky finger in!  You are proving my point by saying I must "stick my
neck in" .  I shouldn't have to stick my neck in. It should be one click shopping.
For updating the compiler code itself? Yes, that you should definitely have to stick
your neck in. That is more complicated, for sure.  It's got nothing to do with PR
right now, really. The popularity might come as a side effect to a good manual. But
I'm not saying it is the reason Pascal isn't as popular as C. i.e., I'm not pushing
PR here.. that's not what I'm getting at.

My only fear of building a documentation engine on my domain, is that I will reinvent
the wheel. I'd rather make improvements or suggestions to the current doc system in
place, so people don't have to run to 60 different websites to read different
documentation engines out there. It's not that I'm afraid of grunt work - I can throw
together a system - but I'd rather not if it will cause more harm, causing users to
run around to my doc site, freepascal's doc site, another doc site, and another doc
site, etc.

You do have to have discussions, before you implement something big like this. I'm
not just talking out my my fat mouth here. I'm honestly fearing that having more than
one documentation engine out there will cause some harm, instead of some good. That,
and of course I don't program in PHP any more, so I may not even be of help to the
current freepascal engine anyway (and last I looked, I couldn't see the PHP code on
SVN anyway - just html. Maybe I missed it).