[fpc-devel] TList or TFPList - a Linked list ?

Micha Nelissen micha at neli.hopto.org
Wed Dec 14 21:56:19 CET 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:44:50 +0100 (CET)
Daniƫl Mantione <daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:

> Op Wed, 14 Dec 2005, schreef Micha Nelissen:
>
> Sorry to disappoint, but this doesn't look a very good idea to me; it
> would kill code that for example tries to sort a list. There will be also
> a lot of code that iterates using index[].

Did you read the paragraph, "to solve (2) ..." ? Sorting is also quite a
"local" operation, no ? No truly random-access is needed.

> Programmers need both list like datastructures and array like data
> structures. It is part of converting mathematical abstraction principles

Array like datastructures are provided by dynamic arrays, I'd say ?

> like a sequence where every operation is O(1), to actual datastructures
> that are to be used inside a compiler. Programmers need both of them, not
> one or the other.

Yes, currently there is no linked list at all, is there ?

These issues are precisely the reason I'm writing to the list and gathering
ideas first.

Micha