[fpc-devel] Access Violation with nested DLL's compiledbyFPC(andsome more info on bug #4538)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Dec 11 22:15:27 CET 2005

On 11 Dec 2005, at 22:00, L505 wrote:

> Where is the "reference count" actually stored anyway, and who as
> access to the
> reference count - just the dll/exe who created the string, or is it
> accessible by
> both of them? I do need to learn more about reference count science.

The reference count is part of the ansistring itself. An ansistring
is simply a pointer to a record containing a reference count, the
amount of memory currently allocated for the string (i.e., maximum
length -1) and the string itself (a 0-terminated string).

So when passing a string from a dll to somewhere else, its reference
count is passed along with it.

Jonas