[fpc-devel] integer, cardinal

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.ugent.be
Sun Apr 17 11:06:27 CEST 2005

On 17 Apr 2005, at 09:38, Yury B. wrote:

>>>   for 32-bit x86... or does 64-bit platform also uses 32-bit integers
>>>   as default, so that longint would be good?
>
> JM> It would break a lot of existing code if we did that. You can
> perfectly
> JM> define integer to be whatever you want yourself.
>
> I want a kind of standard.

I don't understand why.

> If I don't need classes then I would prefer
> not using objfpc or delphi mode (in order not to include huge fcl
> stuff)

They don't include any fcl stuff by default. And with smartlinking
turned on, the only extra thing you get from the objpas unit is a
procedure called ResetResourceTables (and the ResourceStringTable
record).

> but i want integer to be natural to the platform.

Even C is now moving more and more to types with a predictable size
(see all the types in C99). I think knowing how large a type is, is
much more important in order to create good programs than some
perceived speed gain (especially since you can easily redefine any type
to be whatever you want).

Jonas