[fpc-devel] natural unicode support for WinNT via UTF-8

Yury B. ybxsoft at tut.by
Sun Apr 17 09:43:30 CEST 2005

Hello Florian,

Saturday, April 16, 2005, 11:32:07 AM, you wrote:

>> You can define types wchar_t etc. and set these to AnsiChar or WideChar,
>> as desired.

FK> the whole file handling stuff uses the "A-versions" so
FK> it would require to make here at least overloaded versions. More
FK> complicated would be the file records, they store the names as char arrays.

I looked through the sources of RTL and I think I won't do any changes
to add unicode
because it will involve a lot of work and I have also looked in MSDN
about console, it's more natural to use ANSI codepages than unicode
because UNICODE in win32 needs special functions, e.g. WriteConsole
instead of WriteFile ...

So unicode support under WinNT is the task of a specific app.
developer.

--
Best regards,
 Yury                            mailto:ybxsoft at tut.by