[fpc-devel] Quick patch for bug 3762

Tomas Hajny xhajt03 at vol.cz
Fri Apr 1 16:20:27 CEST 2005

From: "DrDiettrich" <drdiettrich at compuserve.de>
To: "FPC developers' list" <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org>
Subject: Re: [fpc-devel] Quick patch for bug 3762
Date: 31.3.2005 - 22:49:06

> > The main problem is that there's a lot platform independent
> > functionality in Crt unit which is re-implemented for every
> > platform again and again. The best solution would be to throw
> > all
> > the individual implementations away completely and implement
> > cross-platform Crt unit based on capabilities provided by
> > units
> > Keyboard and Video (possibly missing functionalities within
> > these
> > units necessary for Crt could be either handled by platform
> > specific include file, or by extending current Keyboard
> > and/or
> > Video).
>
> From the discussion I have the impression that there exist
> problems in
> separating keyboard and mouse events. If I'm right here, then
> I'd
> suggest to separate platforms with separate mouse and keyboard
> events
> from platforms with common events for both devices. The
> platform
> independent implementation then should assume and use separate
> queues,
> as provided (separated if required) by the platform specific
> code.

Implementation of the low-level units (Keyboard, Mouse and Video)
for all supported platforms is different from each other (well,
with the exception of Unix being handled as one common group), so
no special separation is necessary there. OTOH, Crt (once rewritten
to be built on top of these low-level units) should be (almost?)
completely platform independent and thus no separation would exist
there either.

Tomas

--
Akcni unorova nabidka "3 za cenu 1"! Ziskejte
VOLNY ADSL 512/128 3GB za cenu 1GB!