[fpc-devel]RE: Free Pascal version 1.0.6 released

Michael Schnell MSCHNELL at lumino.de
Tue May 7 09:14:00 CEST 2002

== Ursprüngliche Mitteilung von ccodere at ieee.org am 6.05.02 23:14
>Now that v1.0.6 is released, work will be concentrated on v1.1 of the
>compiler, which will eventually form the v1.2 release.
>
>multithreading...

=== Kommentar von MSCHNELL at LUMINO (Michael Schnell) am 7.05.02 09:04

I did an implementation of TThreads for Free Pascal some months ago. It does
work, but we can not use several FP features of OPs, as things like creating
an instance of a class, long strings and such things that use the memory
management are not thread-safe.

We tried to make the heap management thread save (without using my TThread
class, even without using classes at all, just using clone() to create a new
process) by introducing a locking mechanism, but in the end failed due to
still unknown reasons.

We were able to make the same project run safe when we set the clone flags
_not_ to share memory between the processes. Of course we could not use nice
and easy inter thread communication like TThreadList (which is very easily
derived from TList)

Can/should I work with you on the implementation of multithreadding in FP ?

-Michael Schnell, Lumino GmbH,
 Oppumer Straße 81-83, D-47799 Krefeld, Germany.
 mailto:mschnell at lumino.de       http://www.lumino.de
 Tel.: +49-2151-8196-72  Fax: +49-2151-8196-66-72