[fpc-devel]Re: [fpc-pascal](Fwd) poll

Noah silva nsilva at sparcy.atariuniverse.com
Wed Feb 28 20:50:24 CET 2001

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> > - a better CRT unit with extensions, in my experience the CRT unit of
> > Free Pascal has several problems on linux, and I don't like the new
> > ocrt, which also had problems.
>
> Still a library thing. And if you wanted, that specific unit itself would be
> portable across compilers.

This is a Major issue to me, basically there are two major issues to get
things to compile:
a.) The compiler iteself
b.) The libraries

FreePascal works well with TP code because it has the TP style compiler
and libs.

Pure Pascal works well for the same reason.

Delphi has problems with some turbo code because they retracted some of
their own libs ;(

Free Pascal also has some other usefull units like Sysutils, and I have
ported the most important parts of those to other compilers like pure.

To claim borland compatibility, not only should you be able to compile 99%
of borland pascal code, but you should have the standard libraries
available as well.

The problem with the GPC is that not only doesn't it have the libs, it is
too broken to even port them properly ;(.

thanks,
   Noah Silva