[fpc-devel] Attn Michael: r 43417 (ordinal bithelpers)

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Sat Nov 9 18:28:44 CET 2019

> Running the testsuite (even part of it) requires too much preparation
> and takes too much time.

For testing RTL units, all that would be required is
a) compile the RTL
b) cd tests
c) make TEST_FPC=fpc tests_all -j 4 (or e.g. make TEST_FPC=fpc
tests_rtl_sysutils -j 4)

> It's also badly organized, you cannot easily
> run a single test if you need that.

Why not?

> The compiler testsuite is suitable for the compiler.

It's not just a compiler testsuite. It's a complete testsuite, both for
the compiler and for units.

> I don't argue
> there, it takes waiting while the compiler is invoked on all test
> programs, this is
> unavoidable. To make sure some change is not breaking something you must
> run
> all tests.  You are used to it, so you see nothing wrong with it. That's
> OK.
>
> But this way of working is way too slow & cumbersome for me.

That's why I proposed to add support for running only the tests specific
to the RTL and/or specific units.

> I definitely want to help to integrate the tests somehow in the daily
> testrun, but I will not use the slow testsuite.

With parallel compilation, it will be barely slower.

Jonas