[fpc-devel] Attn Michael: r 43417 (ordinal bithelpers)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Nov 9 18:19:24 CET 2019

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 09/11/2019 17:40, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> I have extensively argued before why I think the testsuite is completely
>> unsuitable for testing single unit functionality, I will not repeat my
>> arguments again.
>
> We can add testsuite makefile targets that only run the tests under
> units, or even only for a specific directory under units.

Running the testsuite (even part of it) requires too much preparation and takes too much time.
It's also badly organized, you cannot easily run a single test if you need
that.

The compiler testsuite is suitable for the compiler. I don't argue there,
it takes waiting while the compiler is invoked on all test programs, this is
unavoidable. To make sure some change is not breaking something you must run
all tests.  You are used to it, so you see nothing wrong with it. That's OK.

But this way of working is way too slow & cumbersome for me.

I definitely want to help to integrate the tests somehow in the daily testrun,
but I will not use the slow testsuite.

Michael.