[fpc-devel] FPC 3.0.0-rc1 release

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 16:45:50 CEST 2015

Tomas Hajny wrote:
> On Thu, August 27, 2015 15:03, Frank Grotelueschen wrote:

>> Please don't stop support for W2K. It was the first 'full useable' Windows
>> based on NT-Kernel and is still used today.
>
> I don't think that the Win32 target maintainers would want to break
> working under W2K on purpose, but it's difficult to guarantee support for
> such a version if it isn't used and tested by the respective FPC
> developers regularly. On the other hand, anyone interested in support for
> such a version may decide to keep testing the trunk version and report any
> possible issues as soon as they arise, so that possible options for
> resolution may be discussed.

I still have a few NT4 app servers, and a very small number of W2K systems.

There are definite issues relating to Unicode support on NT4 which
/could/ be fixed, but are probably not worth the effort since the NT4
APIs were basically not fully implemented by Microsoft. The bottom line
with both NT4 and W2K is that ancillary software like installation
programs are no longer viable.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk