[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 11:47:36 CET 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de>
wrote:

> So you suggest cyclic references should be forbidden (erroneous
> programming technique). Are they ?

IMO if a program takes care to avoid cyclic references (with a heaptrc-like
unit to find such cases), it shouldn't pay for the overhead that a detector
would have. Of course i'd make that a compiler directive (or some global
flag) since others may not care.

@Sven:
TBH i don't feel that strongly (heh) about the syntax. It just looks weird
to me compared to other keyword usage in Free Pascal. If at least there was
a semicolon after the type it may look more consistent (after all, cdecl,
extern, etc are placed after a semicolon). F.e.

Foo: TFoo; weak;

But that probably wont work well with function arguments. After all there
aren't "cdecl", "extern", "static", etc function arguments.

Is there any other such use of a keyword? I think it is a bad idea to
introduce a new keyword placement if there isn't already one since it
breaks consistency (all those other keywords are placed in front of the
type name whereas this special one is placed after).