[fpc-devel] Delphi language changes in iOS compiler

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu May 16 12:54:55 CEST 2013

On 05/16/2013 12:32 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> . Some of the changes (from Ansi to Unicode, from VCL to FM, from one-
> to zero-based strings...) require different RTL/FCL/LCL versions,
> which cannot be covered in a single FPC/Lazarus version.

I did not expect that after Delphi introduced the "NewStrings" - that
(rather decently) allow for mixing strings with different internal
codes, while leaving some room for compatible improvement (such as an
additional fully dynamic coded string type-variant and 16 and 32 Bit RAW
Strings) - Strings still are a moving target and yet another
incompatible change will be forced on the users.

I would not dare to decide a direction for Lazarus on that behalf.

-Michael