[fpc-devel] new string - question on usage

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:05:26 CEST 2011

Am 12.10.2011 10:50, schrieb Michael Schnell:
> On 10/12/2011 10:35 AM, Sven Barth wrote:
>>
>> No. In Delphi "String = UnicodeString", but AnsiString still exists as
>> a one-byte (or multi-byte) string type (the "new string type" or "code
>> page aware string type").
> Sorry, but I don't understand.
>
> According to the "TAnsiRec", such a "New String" not only has an
> encoding ID, but also an "ElementSize" specification.
>
> So an "ANSIString" that uses the TAnsiRec for it's implementation
> obviously is capable of holding of 1, 2 and 4 byte encoded data.

Trust me, I don't understand this decision of Embarcadero either...

Here you have the documentation on that topic:
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/en/String_Types

Regards,
Sven

PS: Sorry for the private Mail, Michael, but somehow when I answer a
mail from you using "Answer to List" I have you as "To" instead of the list.