[fpc-devel] Arm Thumb2 - Stellaris status

John Clymer john at johnclymer.net
Mon Aug 8 12:49:03 CEST 2011

Kicking it around in the back of my head at work today...

I tried doing a compile to assembly language for the stellaris - and it choked
giving the error from t_embed.pas.  The error comes from the portion of the
program trying to generate a linker script.

Looking at t_embed.pas, it looks like every single flavor of ARM controller will
require it's own subsection of the case() statement.  This can easily get long
and ugly.  As the only thing that changes between most of the arm variants is
the memory layout - why not provide a generic "stellaris" switch - with reads in
a text file containing the memory map and stack top (the rest of the link file
remains the same for all variants of ARM) ?

This way - switching to a new variant of stellaris only requires tweaking a
memory map file - rather than a re-build and patch of t_embed.pas ?  For that
matter - entirely foreign Cortex M3 parts could be easily supported without
requiring changes to the compiler.

Just pondering how to make it easier and more flexible ...