[fpc-devel] Re: Purpose of "uses ... in"?

Schindler Karl-Michael karl-michael.schindler at web.de
Tue Jul 13 07:46:53 CEST 2010

> Marco van de Voort wrote on Mon, 12 Jul 2010:
>
>> In our previous episode, Hans-Peter Diettrich said:
>>>
>>> Then we could start by immediately flagging all uses of "in" as
>>> deprecated, unless e.g. TP7 or Delphi mode is selected. When the users
>>> can demonstrate that they still need such a feature, we could think
>>> again about other (more compatible) solutions for not yet covered
>>> special cases, before dropping it from the FPC syntax.
>>
>> See http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/porting.pdf paragraph 7 ("avoid paths...")
>>
>> I originally wrote that in 2003-2004.
>>
>> Even for portability purposes it often doesn't work, since usually the build
>> systems  and files for FPC/Lazarus and Delphi differ anyway (and you noticed
>> the working dir difference)
>
> The working dir difference is a Lazarus difference, not an FPC
> difference. Afaict, that feature works identically in FPC and in Delphi.
>
> Furthermore, at least two of "the users" have already posted in this
> thread saying that they use this functionality (both in FPC and in
> Delphi). Therefore I don't think it is a good idea to remove or change
> it.
>
> If different functionality is desired, I think it's better to add a
> different construct rather than using the same construct but with a
> different meaning.

When checking, I found that it is used for all files in UltraStar Deluxe.
I was not aware that this part of the code is problematic also have no
idea about the actual reason. Maybe relates to compiling with Delphi.
In any case I would definitely hate to have the code broken.
Nevertheless, I will raise the topic.

P.S. This will probably end up in the wrong thread, because I
answer to the dictionary. At least it did in the past. Any hints?

Michael