[fpc-devel] Semicolon before else

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Jan 29 14:17:09 CET 2010

On 29 Jan 2010, at 14:10, Juha Manninen wrote:

> Now when I think of it, the new FPC language modes can solve many such
> problems. I understood there are Modula2 and Objective-C modes.

There is no Modula2 mode. There is an Objective-Pascal mode, but no
Objective-C mode.

> And they can use the same compiled units and libraries between
> languages, or
> how. (?)

Units compiled in different dialects can indeed be mixed in the same
program.

> That is cool! The same benefit Parrot or .NET have but with compiled
> languages.

No, it is much more limited. And of course, .NET/CIL can also be
statically compiled to machine code.

> GCC supports many languages, too, but they can't use each others'
> libraries so
> it is quite useless.

You can perfectly use a library compiled with gcc in a gpc-compiled
program. You just have to translate the headers. Just like in case of
e.g. Objective-Pascal, you have to translate the Objective-C headers
to Objective-Pascal before you can use the library/framework for which
these headers have been written.

Jonas