[fpc-devel] Semicolon before else

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Fri Jan 29 14:10:23 CET 2010

> Excellent example and perfectly showing where the new behaviour would break
> existing code without notice. I vote against this feature too, purely
> because it is inconsistent in behaviour.

The original inconsistency is that ELSE is reused in CASE statement. If it
used OTHERWISE or something and ELSE was dedicated to IF then there would be
no problem.
But yes, I understand that is how the language is.

> Object Pascal is about simple easy to read and understand code, it doesn't
> need such inconsistent and confusing features. The current syntax is clear
> as rain and doesn't cause confusion. Adding or removing a simple ;
> character where needed is not effort at all.

No confusion but little irritation sometimes. Adding or removing ';' is no
effort when you remember to do it.

Now when I think of it, the new FPC language modes can solve many such
problems. I understood there are Modula2 and Objective-C modes.
And they can use the same compiled units and libraries between languages, or
how. (?) That is cool! The same benefit Parrot or .NET have but with compiled
languages.
GCC supports many languages, too, but they can't use each others' libraries so
it is quite useless.

Regards,
Juha