[fpc-devel] heaptrc

JoshyFun joshyfun at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 14:05:59 CET 2009

Hello Vincent,

VS> I am not so sure. Heaptrc outputs to stdout. If the
VS> application is compiled -WG the
VS> RTL redirects the output to message windows. I would
VS> recommend to let heatprc write
VS> to file. See
VS> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/heaptrc/environment.html
VS> and/or
VS> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/heaptrc/setheaptraceoutput.html

I'm currently redirecting to file but 2 problems, file is not erased
on each run and in the development process and test you must manually
open the file to know if something leaks (easy to forget).

VS> I disagree. Any GUI application with heaptrace has the same issue.
VS> OTOH, if the output is redirected to file, Lazarus has a nice view: leakview, a ide
VS> plug-in you can find in lazarus\components\leakview

LeakView does not report right runs, only bad runs, and also you must
open it on each run. Anyway this "bug" must be Lazarus related.

--
Best regards,
 JoshyFun