[fpc-devel] heaptrc

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl
Thu Nov 19 11:36:31 CET 2009

Mattias Gaertner schreef:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:53:09 +0100
> JoshyFun <joshyfun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello FPC,
>>
>> The Graeme's comment about heaptrace bring me some questions about it
>> that were "lost in my pocket".
>>
>> (Windows only I think, and I do not know if Lazarus exclusive)
>>
>> Is there any way to only show the heaptrace window when leaks are
>> present ?
>> Is there any way to add a cancel button to the window that show leaks
>> ?
>>
>> With 1000 leaks is not funny to press the OK button around 300 times.
>> I know I can cancel the program, but a cancel button seems to be more
>> clean.
>
> I guess these are todos.

I am not so sure. Heaptrc outputs to stdout. If the application is compiled -WG the
RTL redirects the output to message windows. I would recommend to let heatprc write
to file. See http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/heaptrc/environment.html and/or
http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/heaptrc/setheaptraceoutput.html

>> If this message is more a Lazarus related problem, please let me know.
>> Thank you.
>
> Yes, it is more lazarus related.

I disagree. Any GUI application with heaptrace has the same issue.

OTOH, if the output is redirected to file, Lazarus has a nice view: leakview, a ide
plug-in you can find in lazarus\components\leakview

Vincent