[fpc-devel] CodeGear abandons Delphi.NET

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Oct 29 09:13:52 CET 2008

For me this is the start of the end of Embarcadero's Delphi product.

Since years Delphi is following a route into .NET. (you can't install
Delphi without running .NOT on that PC. Borland/Codegear created "Delphi
for .NET as a migration path. This productproducrt does not seem to be
very successful though. (I did not try it but I did hear that it is not
very nice.) Now they cut away the future they themselves had chosen.

OTOH with Oxygen/Prism in place for .NET and FPC with Lazarus or MSEGUI
in place for native code, the users are not in a too bad situation.

I feel that CLR (call it CIL, .NET, Mono or whatever) enhanced by
Silverlight/Moonlight for remote GUI applications, and CLR enabled
stored procedures (e.g. created with Oxygen/Prism) in modern databases
and a lot more possibilities for remote procedure execution enabled by
CLR, is the foreseeable future of a great part of the software world, on
PCs big Iron and even for embedded devices. So concentrating on Oxygen
instead of the seemingly problematic "Delphi for .NET" is a good idea.

-Michael