[fpc-devel] Unicode support - for the 20th time... ;-)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 13:13:53 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 1:22 PM, peter green <plugwash at p10link.net> wrote:

> The thing is we can't reasonablly provide functions based on what a user
> would see as a character because doing so would require huge lookup tables
> (one user visible character != one code point) so the best we can do is code
> point based which isn't really much better for most tasks than code unit

I think basing those functions on code points should suffice.  I also
think as soon as strings are assigned or loaded from file, they should
be normalized. So two code points like the A and Umlaut code points
would become one.

The .SaveToFile() methods could take an optional parameter to decide
if the normalized version of the string gets saved, or if it must be
split again - which I think Mac OS-X prefers.

Regards,
  - Graeme -