[fpc-devel] Unicode support - for the 20th time... ;-)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Nov 20 12:29:59 CET 2008

> The thing is we can't reasonablly provide functions based on what a
> user would see as a character because doing so would require huge
> lookup tables (one user visible character != one code point) so the
> best we can do is code point based which isn't really much better for
> most tasks than code unit based and would make certain operations MUCH
> slower. In other words it would be a major speed penalty for a minor
> gain.
If a user in fact needs something else that code point counting, he of
course needs to add his own procedures for that purpose. I feel that the
vast majority of projects will be fine with what had been possible with
ANSI (and I think that this is code point counting even with the silly
"u plus Umlaut" coding that has been discussed last week).

-Michael