[fpc-devel] Extend the libraries people!

Bisma Jayadi bisma at brawijaya.ac.id
Mon Jun 6 07:28:22 CEST 2005

Object pascal is a mature language. Some languages even adopt the concept, such
as C# or Java, with different syntaxes and styles. Do not listen to people who
said pascal is a toy language, they just don't know what they're talking about.

Then, if we are talking about the object pascal compilers... we must admit that
Delphi/Kylix is the most popular pascal compiler. In fact, it becomes some kind
of industry standard for pascal based software engineering.

But, now we have another pascal compiler alternative. The open source and free
one, it's FreePascal aka FPC. Since it released the v.2.0, it got more
popularity. Some people even think that it's gonna replace Delphi domination.
But, I think it's not that easy as it said. Delphi has more experiences, more
developers and community, more library supports, more products, and many more.

If we want to make FPC as popular as Delphi and more developers interested to
use it, then we have 2 ways to do it:

1. Make FPC 100% compatible with latest Delphi release (I think at least D7).
Automatically, FPC will get all Delphi resources, including the codes and the
developers! There's no need to write new specific libraries for FPC.

2. Make FPC own environment and community. We don't need to keep up with Delphi
compatibility, make our own syntaxes and styles, build our own libraries, have
our own dignity and destiny. :)

Which way we gonna choose? The first one? Which I think we only need to more
concentrate on the compiler development, but with ability to share the code and
community with current Delphi code and community. This will make FPC = Delphi,
or even FPC >= Delphi. :)

Or the second one? Which I think requires more works, keep up with some
"selected" Delphi compatibility, build our own libraries, but with freedom to
have our own "special" pascal. This will make FPC > Delphi, or FPC < Delphi, or
even FPC <> Delphi.

So... which one? :)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at: